Whole Orange Cake
Oranges are one of the staple foods that go into our monthly fresh food box. Especially at this time of year when we need our vitamin C the most!
So today we are bringing you an amazing recipe from Masterchef contestant Amir Manoly. Amir runs Mister Collective and is providing recipes for Food For Change and all our fresh fruit and veg box subscribers!
Todays recipe is an amazingly mouth watering Whole Orange Cake that comes with zero guilt – After all your fresh food box subscription provides 50 meals a month to hungry Australians – so you deserve a little indulgence!
- 2 oranges
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Place oranges from your fresh fruit and veg box in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over medium to high heat. Boil for 10 minutes and drain.
- Put oranges back in the pot, cover with cold water and boil again for 10 minutes. Drain, then repeat once more (total three times)
- Rinse oranges, then cool slightly so you can handle them. Dice oranges, removing any seeds. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 140°C fan.
- Grease and line a 23cm cake tin with baking paper
- Place chopped oranges in a food processor. Blitz on high for 4 x 10 second bursts, scraping down the sides in between, until it’s pureed into a marmalade consistency with only a few visible bits of rind remaining.
- Add almond meal, eggs, baking powder and caster sugar. Blitz for 5 – 10 seconds on high until combined.
- Pour into prepared cake tin Bake 60 minutes until the surface is golden and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool fully in cake tin. Unless using loose base pan, cover surface with baking paper to help you turn it out (cake is sticky so may stick to your hand and tear surface otherwise.)
- Dust lightly with icing sugar and enjoy knowing your fresh food box has provided 50 meals to hungry Australians!
Again a big thanks to Amir for providing this amazing recipe! You can find out more about Amir and his amazing work – be sure to check out his website Mister Collective.
And don’t forget to use code MISTERC to receive a 10% discount of your fresh food box order!Order Fresh Food Box