Beetroot – it can be a love hate affair for some, including Amir Manoly from Masterchef and Mister Collective. But with our Fresh Food Box containing plenty of Beetroot last month, Amir took up the challenge to develop a gorgeous Beetroot dish for our subscribers!
This gorgeous Beetroot Galette! It takes a little time, but we know you will love it!
- 300g beetroot
- 15g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 60g ricotta
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 100g feta
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp fresh thyme picked
- 1 large sheet puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 220C fan forced
- Cover unpeeled beetroot in foil and bake for 1.5 hours or until soft.
- Once cooked remove from oven and allow to completely cool. Once cooled rub skin off with paper towel until all removed
- Sliced into thin pieces ensuring they are all roughly the same size
- Place beetroot in a bowl and season with a pinch on salt and pepper and 2 tsp of olive oil and set aside
- Turn off oven
- Add butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil in a medium fry pan on medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes until softened and browned.
- Add the sugar, vinegar and a pinch of salt and cook for 1 minute or until the liquid has nearly evaporated. Set aside to cool completely then add parsley and oregano
- Add the ricotta, garlic a pinch of salt and pepper to a bowl and combine- set aside.
- Place the puff pastry on a baking paper lined oven tray.
- Spread the ricotta mixture over the base in a large circle (roughly 1cm from the edges), top with half the feta, then onions
- Leaving a 3cm rim around the edges place the beetroot in an even layer with minimal overlap the add the remaining feta on top.
- Using a knife make come cuts around the edges of the puff pasty roughly 8cm apart.
- Taking one strip at a time, fold over the beetroot towards the centre of the galette.
- Repeat with remaining strips of pastry, then refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 200C fan forced
- Brush the edges of the galette with the beaten egg and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through
- When removed from the oven cover with honey and remaining olive oil
Again a big thanks to Amir for providing this amazing recipe for our fresh fruit and veg box subscribers! To find out more about Amir and his amazing work – be sure to check out his website Mister Collective.
Amir will also be starting an online Master Class for all of our food box subscribers in October – so keep an eye out in your emails!
And don’t forget to use code MISTERC to receive a 10% discount of your fresh food box order!